Jason Sizemore, from Butterhead Kitchen, shares a recipe for Potato Leek Soup.
Comforting soup is the perfect complement to any holiday meal & our Potato Leek soup is not only delicious but simple to make, vegan & gluten free!
Potato Leek Soup (prep time: 10 minutes, cook time: 50 minutes, makes 12, 1 cup servings)
- 4 large white or yellow potatoes (about 4 cups when diced)
- 2 large leeks
- 4 garlic cloves or 2 tsp minced garlic from a jar
- pinch of pepper & salt
- 8 cups vegetable or vegan chicken broth (we love Better Than Bouillon NO Chicken Base)
- 1 tsp dried dill
- optional French fried onions as garnish (skip if preparing gluten free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub potatoes (do not peel) & cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Cut the green leaves off of the leeks & compost or toss. Slice the white parts of the leeks in half long ways & cut into ½ inch wide slices. Add to a bowl of water and slosh around to clean well. Strain.
- Toss the potato cubes, sliced leeks, 4 garlic cloves or 2 tsps minced garlic & a pinch of salt & pepper, in a large bowl. As you toss, spray with a bit of olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray.
- Spread vegetables out on the parchment paper lined baking sheet & bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until gently browned. Make sure the potatoes allow a fork to slide into them easily, before removing from the oven.
- Bring 8 cups of vegetable broth or vegan chicken broth to a boil a few minutes before removing the vegetable from the oven.
- Carefully add the roasted vegetables to the hot broth.
- Remove soup pot from heat & blend soup into a bisque using an immersion blender or by carefully transfering to a standing blender. If using a standing blender, keep the lid slightly vented and cover with a towel. This will prevent the heat from the soup and the high speed blending from possibly blowing the lid off your blender.
- Add 1 tsp of dill and stir gently. Taste and add a bit more salt if desired.
- Serve as is or topped with a sprinkle of French fried onions.