skip to Main Content

Civic Service Report

A woman saved her neighbor from a house fire. Ann Shannon reports in this week’s Civic Service Report.

“I noticed that there was smoke coming out of his windows and his door.”

Katrina also noticed her elderly neighbor still inside.

“All the neighbors, we all love him.”

He was struggling to get out, so she ran to help.

“And I put his arms around my neck and I carried him onto my back and I told him, we have to go.”

He grabbed hold, but then asked Katrina to go back.

“So I ran back into his house. He had oxygen tanks in there and I heard them start in the park. So I ran back out of the house. I can’t get you oxygen.”

Katrina feared the fire would get worse.

“I was terrified. I was terrified. I wasn’t going to be able to carry him the whole way.”

East Lampeter Township police got there in minutes and helped take him to safety.

They also helped firefighters get a jump on the flames,

“The volunteer world sometimes were a little understaffed, a little light, but we made it happen.”

Firefighters think that an electrical malfunction in the homeowner’s oxygen machine may have actually started the fire.

“It was tough to watch, especially with him beside me.”

But Katrina is grateful her neighbors should be OK, and he’s hoping he’ll be back home soon.

 

Back To Top