skip to Main Content

Tyrone House Explosion

Officials say at least five people are injured and one person is unaccounted for following a house explosion in Tyrone Monday.

The explosion happened on the 1300 block of Pennsylvania Avenue.

at this time the gas leak has been shut off but there is still a lingering gas smell in the area.

Smoke was seen billowing from the buildings throughout the afternoon.

Crews say they responded just after 1 p.m. to an active fire scene, they tell us the house with the gas leak is destroyed and two others are damaged.

Officials say five people have been transported to nearby hospitals: Three residents, one bystander, and an employee from People’s Natural Gas.

Officials say the People’s Natural Gas employee was on the scene at the time of the explosion because residents inside the home called ahead of time when they first smelled gas.

Nearby neighbors say they started smelling gas late Sunday night.

At this time officials say about 300-500 people have been evacuated from the area.

“We are told that evacuees are now currently at the Church of the Good Shepherd, and we have seen nearby places like Burger King, Powerhouse Subs and Dominos all send food and waters over for firefighters,” said Blair County EMA Director Mark Taylor.

Back To Top