Emergency officials say crews were dispatched to a garage fire in Elk County Saturday afternoon, sparked by an unknown type of explosion.
6 News was at the scene and spoke with the incident commander.
Jay Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Brandon Kawolski tells us there were no injuries or deaths. However, there has been a lot of damage to the garage.
Kawolski says they got the call about an explosion at “about a quarter to” 2pm. This happened on Pine Avenue in Jay Township, just off the Bennetts Valley Highway.
The explosion blew the roof off the backyard garage, leaving little of it intact. Kowalski says the structure’s “a total loss.”
The explosion also partially melted the shingles of a neighboring house.
Fire companies from Fox Township and Penfield assisted Jay Township VFD at the scene, as well as Bennetts Valley Ambulance Services.
“There’s only just the three walls standing, It was burning very hot and fast when I got on scene.”
“There was some slight damage to a neighboring home to its siding and to the residents the garage belonged to. We checked both those residences with thermal-energy cameras to make sure there was no extension inside. And we gave the all-clear on both those houses.”