Jason Sizemore, from Butterhead Kitchen, shares a recipe for Ranchero Breakfast Bowl.
(prep time: 20 minutes, cook time: 10-15 minutes (+ potato roasting time), serves 4)
- 14 oz extra firm tofu (try it, because it’s really good…but if absolutely not into tofu, use cooked rice or faro)
- ½ cup salsa of choice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ Tbsp Braggs Amino Acids or soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
Sides/toppings (all are optional but recommended!)
- vegan refried beans or black beans
- vegan cheese sauce or shreds (we like Wayfare or Good Planet)
- vegan sour cream (we like Tofutti brand)
- cherry tomatoes rinsed and cut in half
- taco sauce
- tortilla chips
- guacamole or fresh avocado
- vegan sausage (we use Field Roast Apple Maple) cook according to package
- roasted potatoes (cut into ½ inch cubes, Air Fryer: 400 degrees for 18 minutes, shaking basket midway through. Oven: 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes)
- Drain water from tofu and break into quarters. Gently squeeze each quarter over the sink. You do not need to press or dry the tofu with a towel etc. Crumble into a large bowl.
- Add all ingredients, except for the sides and toppings, to the tofu and mix well with a spoon.
- Add tofu scramble to a frying pan and cook over medium heat. Press the mixture down with a spatula and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the scramble over and cook the other side for 5 minutes.