Jason Sizemore, from Butterhead Kitchen, shares a recipe for Vegan Irish Soda Bread.
Irish Soda Bread
- 4 cups flour (we used 2 cups whole wheat & 2 cups white all-purpose) plus a bit for kneading
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter (stick form is best)
- 1 ½ cup plant milk (we used soy)
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup raisins or currants
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the vegan butter into thin slices & set aside so it softens.
- Whisk together plant based milk & lemon juice & reserve for later. This will create ‘buttermilk’.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking soda & salt into a large mixing bowl. ( If you don’t have a sifter you can add ingredients into the bowl & gently whisk or use a colander.)
- Add the vegan butter to the dry ingredients & blend it into the dry mix using 2 butter knives, gently ‘chopping’ until crumbled throughout.
- Form a divot in the middle of the flour blend & pour ‘buttermilk’ & raisins/currants into it.
- Using a large spoon, gently combine together for a few seconds.
- Transfer dough to a floured counter or cutting board. Knead just enough times for dough to combine & stick together (about 10 times).
- Place dough onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet & form into a disk that is about 1.5 inches high.
- Cut an X into the top using a knife.
- Bake for 45 minutes. (As ovens vary, check at 35 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean & the edges of the bread are browned, remove from oven.)
- Can be enjoyed as soon as it’s done or cool on a cooling rack.
*Tip: this bread freezes really well! Freeze pre-cut slices to enjoy whenever you’d like.
Butterhead Kitchen is a Small Batch Vegan Products Company, offering vegan cooking classes. Visit Butterhead Kitchen to learn more. You can follow Butterhead Kitchen on Instagram @butterheadkitchen.