During the pandemic, alcohol consumption rose by 14% among adults over 30, and for women, the numbers are even higher. There’s been a 41% increase in heavy drinking days among women since the onset of the pandemic. Licensed therapist, Christy Beck, talks about the problem.
Warning Signs That You May Be Drinking Too Much
- People close to you have commented about your excess drinking
- You’re spending more money on alcohol than you have in the past
- You’re prioritizing drinking over previously enjoyable or important activities
- You need to drink more to achieve the same effect
- You are suffering from withdrawal symptoms
Rewiring Alcohol Habits
- Create an earlier bedtime
- Replacing alcohol with other fun beverages
- Alcohol-free socializing
- Saving drinking for certain special days each week
- Using therapy, counseling or motivational apps
Visit the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism for helpful information and a list of resources.